Criteria for Admission:
The School Selection period for the 2020-2021 school year opened on September 20, 2019 and closes on November 1, 2019. Additional information about the school selection process can be found at https://www.philasd.org/findyourfit.
All applicants must meet the criteria for admission, regardless of whether the candidate attends public or non-public school, prior to submitting an application. Students meeting the academic requirements will be invited to audition. Audition invitations will be distributed to School District of Philadelphia students through their sending school’s principal. Non-District applicants will be notified through the email address they provided when completing the application.
The application criteria below is the same for both middle and high school applicants:
- Academic Requirements: 80% on PSSA or other Standardized testing submitted
- Report Card Grades – A’s and B’s
- Exemplary attendance record
- No negative behavior records
- Vocal – ALL applicants are required to perform a vocal audition, as all of our students participate in our choir. Students should prepare 32 measures of a piece of music (typically a verse and chorus of a popular song – any genre is acceptable). You may bring sheet music for an accompanist to play, or you may sing a capella.
- Instrumental – Students who have played an instrument for more than one year are encouraged to audition. Students auditioning instrumental are required to prepare any piece to perform of their choosing. You will be asked to play scales and demonstrate sight reading skills as well. Those auditioning on piano, harp, drum set, or upright bass may use GAMP’s instruments. All other instruments must be brought to the audition by the student.
Questions regarding the audition process may be directed to the music department chair, Mrs. Christina Blankenship, through email.